How to Transfer From one University to Another in Nigeria
Are you interested in learning about the process of transferring from one university to another in Nigeria? Or perhaps you’re looking for essential information about inter-university transfers before deciding to change your school? The good news is that transferring from one university to another is possible in Nigeria. This means you can make transfers between: […]
Are you interested in learning about the process of transferring from one university to another in Nigeria? Or perhaps you’re looking for essential information about inter-university transfers before deciding to change your school?
The good news is that transferring from one university to another is possible in Nigeria.
This means you can make transfers between:
- Federal and state universities
- State university to federal university
- Federal to private university
- State to federal university
- State to private university
- Private university to federal university
- Private university to state university
- State-to-state university
- Federal to federal university
- Private to private university, and so on.
The process of transferring from one university to another or moving from one school to another locally in Nigeria is called inter-university transfer.
In this article, we’ll guide you on how to transfer from one university to another in Nigeria without stress.
What is Inter-University Transfer?
Inter-University transfer provides an opportunity for undergraduate students in Nigerian universities to relocate and continue their education in another institution within the country.
There are two categories of inter-university transfer in Nigeria:
- Local (Within Nigeria): This type of transfer involves moving from one Nigerian university to another within the country.
- Intra-University (From Foreign Universities): This pertains to transfers from foreign universities to Nigerian universities.
It’s important to note that transferring from a polytechnic or college of education to a state, private, or federal university in Nigeria is currently not possible.
Such transfers can only be pursued through Direct Entry programme, which requires National Diploma (ND) or Nigeria Certificate in Education (NCE) holders to meet specific admission criteria.
In this case, you will have to apply through JAMB.
Requirements for Inter-University Transfer in Nigeria
Below are the requirements for inter-university transfer in Nigeria:
- Have a good Grade Point Average (GPA).
- Your Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) should not be less than 2.00.
- You must have taken the necessary O/Level or A/Level subjects required for admission into your desired program.
- You must have a good moral standing in your present institution.
- While having a lower GPA does not necessarily disqualify you, a good academic record enhances your chances of acceptance.
Kindly note that the above requirements for inter-university transfers may vary depending on the policies of the respective universities involved.
We recommend that you reach out to the specific university to which you intend to transfer.
This will enable you to gather accurate and up-to-date information on the transfer requirements.
How to Transfer from One University to Another in Nigeria in 2024
Here are the steps to follow for a successful inter-university transfer in Nigeria:
- Choose Your Preferred University
- Research Transfer Requirements
- Get a Transfer Form
- Complete the Application Process
- Accept Admission via JAMB CAPS
See the list of schools that accept transfer in Nigeria.
1. Choose Your Preferred University
The first step in how to transfer from one university to another in Nigeria is to research and choose your institution.
Once you decide on the institution or school you wish to transfer to, it’s advisable to research this school to know if you stand a chance or not.
Ensure the university you want to transfer to aligns with your academic goals and needs.
2. Research Transfer Requirements
The next thing after choosing your preferred institution is to find out the requirements for your course.
There is a requirement for each course offered in your school, knowing the requirements for your course will be an added advantage.
Check the requirements to know if you have met the criteria for the transfer or not.
Each university and course has its transfer requirements.
The transfer requirement may include a particular GPA, course credits, transcripts, etc.
3. Get a Transfer Form
Once you know the requirements and are sure that you have met all the requirements, the next thing is to buy the transfer form.
Some schools sell this form for Fifty Thousand Naira (50,000).
You can obtain this form online and offline.
4. Complete the Application Process
After knowing the requirements for the transfer and obtaining the transfer form, the next thing is to apply online or fill out the form and submit it.
When applying, be very careful not to make a mistake to avoid rejection or disapproval.
Adhere strictly to the guidelines provided on the undergraduate or postgraduate portal.
5. Accept Admission via JAMB CAPS
After picking the form, applying, and getting approval, the next thing is to wait for you to be given admission via JAMB CAPS.
This validates the transfer, and once you accept the admission on the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) Central Admission Processing System (CAPS), you automatically become a student of that new school.
Afterwards, print your admission letter and go for further screening.
Inter-university transfer is possible in Nigeria for undergraduate students seeking to change institutions for various reasons.
Successfully transferring from one university to another within Nigeria requires thorough planning and adherence to transfer requirements.
By carefully following the steps outlined in this inter-university guide, you can change to another school without stress.
We hope that this article has provided valuable insights into how to transfer from one university to another in Nigeria.
- How to Gain Admission Without JAMB
- How to Gain Admission Through IJMB and JUPEB
- How to Join Nigerian Navy With SSCE
- How to Gain Admission in UNN
- Top 10 Best Education Blogs in Nigeria
If you liked this article or have a question, leave a comment below. You can also follow our updates via WhatsApp by clicking this Link.